Tannins represent a wide variety of compounds that can be found in fruits, vegetables, dry extract of red wine, dry extract of grape seeds, tea and dry not edible plants. Tannins are also known as proanthocyanidins possessing useful properties such as antioxidant, anti-apoptosis, anti-aging, anti-carcinogenic, anti-inflammatory as well as anti-atherosclerosis and cardiovascular protection. In the study 5 food products were analysed for their tannins content by titrimetric method, the percentage report of samples were found between 0.0010% to 0.0028% in aqueous extract and between 0.0020 - 0.0081% in methanolic extract.
Keywords: Tannins, Plant products, titrimetric analysis, aqueous and methanolic extract
- P. Schofield., Mbugua D. M., Pell A. N. Analysis of condensed tannins: A review. Animal Food Science Technology, 2001, 9(1), 21-40.
- Gutteridge J. M. Free radicals in disease processes: A compilation of cause and consequences. Research and Communication. 1993, 9(1), 141-158.
- Kahrer J. P. Free radicals as mediators of tissue injury and disease. Clinical Research Toxicology. 1993, 2(3), 21-48.
- Becker L. B. New concepts in reactive oxygen species and cardiovascular reperfusion physiology. Cardiovascular Research. 2004, 6(1), 461-470.
- Hayes J. D., McLellan L.I. Glutathione and glutathione-dependent enzymes represent a coordinately regulated against oxidative stress. Free Radical Research. 1999, 3(1), 273-300.
- Masella R. Benedetto R.D., Vari R., Filesi C. Novel mechanism of natural antioxidant compounds in biological systems: involvement of glutathione – related enzymes. Journal of Nutrition and Biochemistry. 2005, 1(6), 577-586.
- Han X. Shen T. Lou H. Dietary polyphenols and their biological significance. International Journal of Molecular Sciences. 2007, 8(2), 950-988.
- Beckett H. Stenlake J.B. Pharmaceutical Analysis vol.I birla publication.1999, p.no. -78-79.
- The International Pharmacopoeia, World health organization, 3rd ed. Vol 5 Geneva, 2003, 495.
- AOAC official method, Spectrophotometric method, 1965, 321.
- Attanasova M. Bagdassarian V.C. Determination of tannins content by titrimetric method for comparison of different plant species. Journal of the University of Chemical Technology and Metallurgy, 2009, 44(4), 413-415.