Mosala Qekisi, ASIO Journal of Humanities, Management & Social Sciences Invention (ASIO-JHMSSI), 2018, 4(2): 01-06.
ARTICLE TYPE: Review Article
DOI Link :: http://doi-ds.org/doilink/10.2016-14781119/;
DOI Link :: http://doi-ds.org/doilink/08.2018-85556396/
Democracy in Africa is a window dressing meant to appease the west. On the ground, the reality presents authoritarian tendencies where some people are more equal than others and fundamental freedoms and human rights are a luxury. The purpose of the paper is to explore possible paths that Africa can take to realize real democracy. The outline first takes on the introduction, which defines some keywords and looks at the current status of democracy on the continent. It then provides the solutions in different subtopics and ends with a conclusion.
Keywords: Democracy, Africa, Democratisation
- M.G. Schmidt, Political performance and types of democracy: Findings from comparative studies. European Journal of Political Research, 2002, 4 (1), p147–163. https://sites.hks.harvard.edu/fs/pnorris/Acrobat/stm103%20articles/schmidt_Types_of_demo_and_perf.pdf (Accessed 02 June, 2018).
- Freedom House Report, Freedom in the world 2018: Democracy in crisis, https://freedomhouse.org/report/freedom-world/freedom-world-2018 (Accessed 05 June, 2018).
- L. Diamond, Developing democracy: Toward consolidation (Baltimore: The John Hopkins University Press, 1999).
- M. Bongyu, Pan African University lecture note (PAUGHSS Yaoundé: Pan African University, 2018).
- G. Sorensen, Democracy and democratization: processes and prospects in a changing world. 3rd ed. (Colorado: Westview Press, 2008)
- D. A. Rustow, Transitions to Democracy: Toward a Dynamic Model. Comparative Politics, 1970, 2 (3): 337-363. https://www.jstor.org/stable/i217417 (Accessed 05 June, 2018).
- A. Bächtiger, and W. Linder, What drives democratization in Asia and Africa? European Journal of Political Research, 2005, 44: 861–880, https://www.researchgate.net/publication/227494112_What_Drives_Democratization_in_Asia_and_Africa (Accessed 10 June, 2018).
- A. Momoh, & P. Thovoethin, An overview of the 1998-1999 democratization process in Nigeria, 2001, https://www.unpan1.un.org/intradoc/groups/public/documents/CAFRAD/UNPAN009286 (Accessed 10 June, 2018).
- B. Obama, Barack Obama’s speech in Ghana on African development, 2009, http://www.voltairenet.org/article161125.html (Accessed 10 June, 2018).
- W. Lee, Modern democracy and the theological-political problem in Spinoza, Rousseau, and Jefferson: Recovering Political Philosophy (Palgrave: Macmillan, 2014).
- D. Acemoglu, S. Johnson, and J.A. Robinson, An African Success Story: Botswana. MIT Department of Economics Working Paper, 2001, 01(37). http://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.290791
- H. Jeff, Amendment XV: Race and the right to vote (Farmington Hills: Greenhaven Press, 2009).
- A. Lijphart, et al, Democracy sourcebook. Massachusetts: Library of Congress, (2003; p.143), www.untag-smd.ac.id/...1/DEMOCRACY%20The%20Democracy%20Sourcebook.pdf (Accessed 13 May, 2018).
- B. O'Leary, Debating consociational politics: normative and explanatory arguments (Montreal: McGill-Queen's Press, 2005).
- S. Omwenga, We need a break from Kikuyu presidents, 2017, https://www.the-star.co.ke/news/2017/05/27/we-need-a-break-from-kikuyu-presidents_c1567474 (Accessed 20 May, 2018).
- H. Nyane, (2017). The never-ending story of law and electoral system in Lesotho. Journal of law, society and development, 2017, 4, (1). https://www.upjournals.co.za/index.php/JLSD/article/view/1847 (Accessed 10 June, 2018).
- Ace Project, Electoral systems, n.d. https://aceproject.org/ace-en/topics/es/onePage (Accessed 17 June, 2018).
- A. Mehler, and D. Tull, The hidden cost of power-sharing: reproducing insurgent violence in Africa. African affairs, 2005, 104 (416), 375-398.
- R. Wilford, and R. Wilson, Northern Ireland: Valedictory? In R. Hazell (Ed.), The state of the nations. (Exeter: Imprint Academic, 2003) 79-85.
- D. Dei, R. Osei-Bonsu, and I.N. Dowuona, Striving for effective leadership in Africa: a case for ethical leadership. Asia-Africa Journal of Mission and Ministry, 2016, 1(3), 85–104. http://dx.doi.org/10.21806/aamm.2016.13.06 (Accessed 10 June, 2018).
- G.S. Maipose & T.C. Matsheka, Explaining African growth performance: the Botswana case study. Gaborone: University of Botswana, 2002, www.swarthmore.edu/SocSci/soconne1/book/Ch15_RRBotswana_GMTM.doc (Accessed 10 June, 2018).
- E. Huber, D. Rueschemeyer, and J.D. Stephens, (1993). The impact of economic development on democracy. Journal of Economic Perspectives, 1993, 7 (3) 71-86.
- M. Diop, Foresight Africa 2016: Banking on agriculture for Africa’s future, 2016, https://www.brookings.edu/blog/africa-in-focus/2016/01/22/foresight-africa-2016-banking-on-agriculture-for-africas-future/ (Accessed 02 June, 2018).
- C. Ake, Democracy and Development in Africa. (Ibadan: Spectrum Books Limited, 2003).
- S. Taiwo, Everything you should know about the 200 coups that have taken place in Africa, 2017, https://www.pulse.ng/bi/politics/africa-has-experienced-200-military-coups-id7623968.html. (Accessed 05 Jun 2018).