Priya S. Kushwaha, Ashok K. Singh, Amit K. Keshari, Bankim C. Nandy, Sudipta Saha. Comparison of antidiabetic, hypolipidemic and protective effects hydroalcoholic extracts of leaves, barks and roots of salacia oblonga in albino wistar rats, ASIO Journal of Pharmaceutical & Herbal Medicines Research (ASIO-JPHMR), 2016: 2(1), 28-33.
ARTICLE TYPE: Research
dids/doi No.: 12.2015-77737978
dids link: http://dids.info/didslink/03.2016-68471116/
Salacia oblonga (SO) has been used for thousands of years for the treatment of obesity and diabetes. The present study was undertaken to evaluate antidiabetic, hypolipidemic and toxicological assessments of SO extracts obtained from root, bark and leaves. The extracts were administered to streptozotocin (STZ) rats once in a day for a period of fifteen days at 100 mg/kg dose. Blood glucose levels and body weight changes at different days (1st, 5th, 10th and 15th days) were measured during experiment. Serum lipid profiles were also estimated to investigate the hypolipidemic potential. Various oxidative stress and hepatic biomarker enzymes in serum were also determined to investigate the toxicity potential of extracts. Results collectively suggested that all extracts at 200 mg/kg dose produced significant reduction in blood glucose level and restored body weight, signifying antidiabetic action. Hypolipidemic action was observed via reduction of lipid and increase of HDL in serum during administration of extracts. Various oxidative stress biomarkers and hepatic enzymes levels were normalized with respect to diabetic control. The extracts demonstrated good antidiabetic, hypolipidemic and antioxidant properties in STZ diabetic rats.
Keywords :Salacia oblonga, Antidiabetic, Hypolipidemic, Antioxidant
- Jung M, Park M, Lee HC, Kang Y-H, Kang ES, Kim SK. Antidiabetic agents from medicinal plants. Current medicinal chemistry 2006; 13:1203-18.
- Bhushan MS, Rao CHV, Ojha S, Vijayakumar M, Verma A. An analytical review of plants for anti diabetic activity with their phytoconstituent & mechanism of action. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences & Research 2010; 1:29-46.
- Ravindran M. A review on some potential traditional phytomedicine with antidiabetic properties. International Journal of Phytomedicine 2012; 3:448-58.
- Li Y, Peng G, Li Q, Wen S, Huang TH-W, Roufogalis BD, et al. Salacia oblonga improves cardiac fibrosis and inhibits postprandial hyperglycemia in obese Zucker rats. Life sciences 2004; 75:1735-46.
- Krishnakumar K, Augusti K, Vijaymmal P. Hypoglycaemic and Anti-Oxidant Activity of Salacia Oblonga Wall. Extract in Streptezotocin-induced Diabetic Rats. Indian journal of physiology and pharmacology 1999; 43:510-4.
- Williams JA, Choe YS, Noss MJ, Baumgartner CJ, Mustad VA. Extract of Salacia oblonga lowers acute glycemia in patients with type 2 diabetes. The American journal of clinical nutrition 2007; 86:124-30.
- Singh A, Duggal S. Salacia spp: Hypoglycemic principles and possible role in diabetes management. Integrative Medicine Resource 2010 (http://www.modernhcp.com/salacia-spp-hypoglycemic-principles-and-possible-role-in-diabetes-management/).
- Bhat BM, Raghuveer C, D’Souza V, Manjrekar PA. Antidiabetic and hypolipidemic effect of Salacia oblonga in streptozotocin induced diabetic rats. Journal of clinical and diagnostic research: JCDR 2012; 6:1685.
- Kushwaha PS, Raj V, Singh AK, Keshari AK, Saraf SA, Mandal SC, Saha S. Antidiabetic effects of isolated sterols from Ficus racemosa leaves. RSC Advances 2015; 5:35230-7.
- Yadav RK, Keshari AK, Singh AK, Saha S.Antidiabetic and hypolipidemic effect of Ficus racemosa petroleum ether extract in streptozotocin induced diabetic albino rats. International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, 2015; 7:283-287.
- Maurya AK, Tripathi S, Ahmed Z, Sahu RK. Antidiabetic and antihyperlipidemic effect of Euphorbia hirta in streptozotocin induced diabetic rats. Der Pharmacia Lettre 2012; 4:703-7.
- Sharma A, Sharma AK, Chand T, Khardiya M, Yadav KC. Antidiabetic and antihyperlipidemic activity of cucurbita maxima duchense (pumpkin) seeds on streptozotocin induced diabetic rats. Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry 2013; 1:108-16.
- Latha S, Rajaram K, Suresh Kumar P. Hepatoprotective and antidiabetic effect of methanol extract of Caralluma fimbriata in streptatozocin induced diabetic albino rats. International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences 2004; 6:665-68.
- Visweswara Rao P, Madhavi K, Dhananjaya Naidu M, Gan SH. Rhinacanthus nasutus Improves the Levels of Liver Carbohydrate, Protein, Glycogen, and Liver Markers in Streptozotocin-Induced Diabetic Rats. Evidence-based complementary and alternative medicine: eCAM 2013; 2013:102901.
- Li Y, Huang TH, Yamahara J. Salacia as an ayurvedic medicine with multiple targets in diabetes and obesity. Life Science 2008; 82:1045-9.
- Takate SB, Pokharkar RD, Chopade VV, Gite VN. Hepato-protective activity of the aqueous extract of launaea intybacea (jacq) beauv against carbon tetrachloride-induced hepatic injury in albino rats. Journal of Pharmaceutical Science and Technology 2010; 2:247-251.
- Ghosal M, Mandal P. In-vitro antidiabetic and antioxidant activity of calamus erectus roxb. fruit: a wild plant of darjeeling himalaya. 2013; 4:67-70.
- Thamotharan GRP, Haja SS, Alavala V, Vijayakumar K, Sengottuvelu S, Sivakumar T. Evaluation of hypoglycemic and hypolipidemic studies in ethanol leaf extract of ficus pumila linn. On streptozotocin induced diabetic rats. International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences 2013; 5:766-9.
- Krishnasamy R. Antioxidant and antidiabetic activity of tectona grandis linn. in alloxan induced albino rats. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research 2013; 6:174-177.
- Anusooriya P, Malarvizhi D, Gopalakrishnan VK, Devaki K. Antioxidant and antidiabetic effect of aqueous fruit extract of Passiflora ligularis Juss. on streptozotocin induced diabetic rats. International Scholarly Research Notices 2014, Article ID 130342, 10 pages.