Muhammad Naswir, The Ability of Aluminium Sulfate (Al2 (SO4)3.18H2O) for Reduction of Color, Iron (Fe) and Organic Substances Contained in the Peat Water, ASIO Journal of Analytical Chemistry (ASIO-JAC), 2015, 1(1): 38-42.
ARTICLE TYPE: Research
dids no.: 03.2016-28554435,
dids link: http://dids.info/didslink/02.2016-84732333/
Peat water can be utilized by people as a source of clean water. Quality of peat water can be improved by eliminating the various parameters likes the colour of peat, organic matter contents, pH and iron (Fe). The purpose of this study was to determine the ability and effect of Aluminium sulfate [Al2 (SO4)3.18H2O] in improving the peat water quality. Water samples were taken in the area of peat bog peat Kuala Tungkal in Jambi Province. Peat water into aluminium sulfate and then added a number of stirring and coagulations after being filtered, peat water parameters were measured using Ultra Violet and Atomic Absorption Spectrometry (AAS). The results showed that the addition 1gr L-l of aluminium sulfate lowered the colour of peat water to 33.59%, iron content to 53.8% and organic matters to 26.8%, while the pH and Total Dissolve Solid did not change significantl. Therefore it can be concluded that the treatment with single aluminium sulfate cannot able to improve water quality with optimal path.
Keywords: Aluminium sulfate, color, organic substances, iron (Fe), peat water
- Eri IR and Hadi W. Assessment of Water Treatment Peat Being Combination Process Water with Upflow Anaerobic Filter and Slow Sand Filter, Environmental Engineering, Thesis FTSP-ITS Surabaya, 2008, pp 1-8.
- Yusnimar Yelmida A, Yenie E, and Edward HS and Drastinawati, Water Treatment Peat with Bentonite, Journal Sains TEk Faculty of Engineering, University of Riau, Indonesia, 2010, 9 (2): 77-81.
- Naswir and Haviz, A, Study of Peat Moss consume water with water for CCBN-RO Technology, Prociding Seminar International, 2008, to UNSOED Central Java.
- Parabi A. Utilization of Peat Water for Household Needs People in the village of Kubu Raya Jaya Rasau West Kalimantan, J. Media Science, 2012, 4 (1): 81-86.
- Iswono, Effectiveness of Poly Aluminium Chloride Against Water Color Intensity Decrease in Siantan Hulu Peat Pontianak, Thesis. Diponegoro University, 2001, pp 1-9.
- Dewi F, and Notodarmojo. The decline in Color and Water Content of Organic Matter of Peat with Method Two Stage Coagulation. Journal of Environmental Engineering ITB, 2007, 13 (1): 17-26.
- Wu YF, Liu W, Gao NY and Tao T. Study of Titanium Sulfate Focculation for Water Treatment, Elseivier Science Journal Water Research, 2001, 45: 3704-3711.
- Cheremisinoff NP. Handbook of Water and Wastewater Treatment Technology, by Butterworth Heinemann, USA. 2002, pp. 1-60.
- ASTM, Standard Test Method for Volatile Matter in the Analysis of Coal and Coke. ASTM 1982, D-3175-3182.
- Hanswell SJ. Atomic Absorption Spectrometry. Theory, Desaign and Application, 1991, Elsevier Science Publishers, Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
- Tasdemir T, Tasdemir A. Effect of Mixing Conditions on flocculation. Eskisehir Osmangazi University, Eskishir, Turkey, 2008: p 1-7.
- Tripathy T and Rjan DB. Flocculation A New Way to Treat the Waste Water. Vidyasagar University, J. of Physical Sciences, 2006, 10: 93-27.
- Alaerts and Santika S. Water Research Methods, National Business, Surabaya, Indonesia, 1984, pp.1-50.
- Widayat W Said NI. Water treatment continuously. Journal of Environmental Technology. Center Environmental Assessment and Application of Technology (P3TL) BPPT, 2001, 2 (3): 214-222.
- Apostol P, Kouachi G and Constantinescu R. Optimazation of Coagulation with Aluminum Sulfate Process Based on Response Surface Methodology UPB Sci. Bull, 2011, Series B, Vol. 73: p 77-84.
- Sutapa I. Study of Coagulation Flocculation Jar Test As Primary Water Treatment Plant Design Peat (IPAG) Be Water. Research Centre for Limnology. LIPI Cibinong Sciences Centre, Bogor, 2006, pp 1-12.
- Zouboulis AI, Cha XL and Katsoyiannis IA. The Application of Biofloculant for The Removal of Humic Acid Stabilized Landfill Leachate Rom, Environmental Management Journal, 2004,70: 35-41.
- Wandruszka RV. Humic acids: Their detergent qualities and potential uses in Pollution Remediation.The Royal Society of Chemistry and the Division of Geochemistry of the American Chemical Society. Department of Chemistry, University of Idaho, 2000, USA.
- Aiken G, McKnight D, and Wershaw R. Humic Substances in Soil, Sediment and Water. Vol.1, Jon Wiley and Sons, Inc., New York, 1985, pp.457-476.
- Gramss G, Ziegenhagen, D and Sorge S, Degradation of Soil Humic Axract by Wood and Soil-Associated Fungi, Bacteria, and Commercial Enzymes. Microbial Ecology, 1999, 37: 140-151.
- Clark CD, and Zika RG. Marine Organic Photochemistry: From the Sea Surface to Marine Aerosols. The Handbook of Environmental Chemistry, Series: Marine Chemistry Water Pollution, 2000, 5: p1-33.
- Santos RR, Vermeulen S, Haritova A, and Gremmels JF. Isotherm Modeling of Organic and Humic Acid Activated Bentonite Polymer Used as Mycotoxin Adsorbents. J. Food Additives and contaminants. Utrecht the Netherlands, 2012, 1: 1-20.
- Buffle, JAE. Les Substances Humiques et leurs Interactions Avec Les Ions Minéraux. Conference Proceedings de la Commission d'Hydrologie Appliquee de AGHTMl Université d'Orsay, 1977, pp. 3-10.