Dr. Bhavin Patel, Dr. Pravin Bhathawala, Queuing Theory Applied to Traffic Lights in Ahmedabad, ASIO Journal of Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics & Applied Sciences (ASIO-JCPMAS),2016, 1(1): 04-08.
ARTICLE TYPE: RESEARCH
dids no.: 03.2016-26169319,
dids Link: http://dids.info/didslink/03.2016-56815444/
The present paper describes a solution for minimizing system time in a traffic during a day in the city of Ahmedabad. This solution of a traffic problem is based on the number of vehicles observed at a traffic light. We find the expected waiting time and the system time when n vehicles have already arrived at the traffic light. The traffic flow is assumed to be governed by a Poisson process. As a result we compare the traffic on three main roads of Ahmedabad city viz.: Ashram Road, CG Road and SG Road.
Keywords: Traffic light, Traffic, Traveller, Red light, Green light, Number of vehicles, Probability density function (p.d.f)
- Roy K and Hlynka M. Queuing Theory Applied to a Traffic Light Problem, WMSR #95-14 August, 1995.
- Cooper RB. Introduction to Queuing Theory, McMillan: New York, 1972.
- Cox DR. Renewal Theory, Methuen: London, 1962.
- Worthington D and Wall A. Using the discrete time modelling approach to evaluate the time-dependent behaviour of queuing systems, J Opl Res Soc., 1999, 50: 777-888.
- Taha HA. Operations Research-An Introduction. 8th Edition, ISBN 0131889230, Pearson Education, 2007.