B. C. Nandy, B. Mazumder, Development and Validation of Analytical Methods of Celecoxib in Blood Plasma by HPLC Technique, ASIO Journal of Analytical Chemistry (ASIO-JAC), 2015, 1(1): 01-05.
ARTICLE TYPE: RESEARCH
dids no.: 03.2016-28554435,
dids Link: http://dids.info/didslink/03.2016-51528642/
The objective of the present work involved the development of simple, rapid, sensitive and cost effective RP-HPLC method for the estimation and quantification of celecoxib in rabbit plasma to evaluate their linearity, accuracy, precision, and recovery studies. The spiked plasma serum samples used for the preparation of calibration curve and it was prepared by adding required volumes of standard celecoxib solutions and volume made up to 2 ml by pooled blank rabbit plasma serum to yield final concentrations of 250-5000 ng mL-1. Each sample was run one by one by injecting 20 μL into the injecting port; after washing the HPLC machine, initially with methanol followed by mobile phase, in a flow rate of 1.25 ml/min, detection was carried out at 250 nm and washing time with mobile phase itself was given to 30 min. Good linearity was obtained for calibration curves. By plotting the peak height vs. the celecoxib concentration (ng ml-1), the following regression equations were found: Y=58.848X + 420.54 (250 nm; concentration range: 250-5000 ng ml-1; r2 =0.9992).The precision of the method was estimated by calculating the RSD values for the results obtained at two different plasma concentrations. The LLOQ was found to be 81.46 ngmL-1. Intra-day precision ranged from 1.72% to 4.08%. Inter-day precision ranged from 1.09% to 7.76%. The percentage of intra and inter-day accuracy was in the range of 100.88-102.81% and 99.06-99.85%, respectively. The assay method demonstrated high degree of accuracy and precision.The analyte was found to be stable in rabbit plasma when stored at -20oC. The method was simple, rapid, highly sensitive, accurate, precise, and cost effective for celecoxib after rabbit plasma was simply extracted by liquid-liquid extraction method. Also, this method was extended for determination of celecoxib presence in blood plasma serum.
Keywords: Celecoxib, RP-HPLC method, rabbit plasma serum, quantification.
- Itthipanichpong C, Chompootaweep S, Wittayaler-tpanya S, Kemsri W, Thaworn N, Lilitkarntrakul P. Clinical pharmacokinetic of celecoxib in healthy thai volunteers. J. Med. Assoc. Thai., 2005, 88(5), 632– 638.
- Jalalizadeh H, Amini M, Ziaee V, Safa A, Farsam H, Shafiee A. Determination of celecoxib in human plasma by high performance liquid chromatography. J Pharm. Biomed Anal., 2004, 35, 665-670.
- Guirguis MS, Sattari S, Jamali F. Pharmacokinetics of celecoxib in the presence and absence of interferon-induced acute inflammation in the rat: Application of a novel HPLC assay. J. Pharm. Pharmaceut. Sci., 2001, 4(1), 1-6.
- Hamid AM, Novotny L, Hamza H. Liquid chromatographic-mass spectrometric determination of celecoxib in plasma using single-ion monitoring and its use in clinical pharmacokinetics. J. Chromatogr. B., 2001,753, 401-408.
- Werner U, Werner D, Pahl A, Mundkowski R, Gillich M, Brune K. Investigating the pharmacokinetic of celecoxib using a new liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry method. J. Chromatogr. B., 2002, 16, 56-60.
- Zhang M, Moore GA, Gardiner SJ, Begg EJ. Determination of celecoxib in human plasma and breast milk by high- performance liquid chromatographic assay. J. Chromatogr. B., 2006, 830(2), 245-8.
- Stormer E, Bauer S, Kirchheiner J, Brockmoller J, Roots I. Simultaneous determination of celecoxib, and carboxy celecoxib in human plasma using gradient reversed-phase liquid chromatography with ultraviolet absorbance detection. J. Chromatogr. B., 2003, 783(1), 207-212.
- Chow H, Anavy N, Salazar D, Frank DH, Alberts DS. Determination of celecoxib in human plasma using solid-phase extraction and high- performance liquid chromatography. J Pharm. Biomed Anal., 2004, 34 (1), 167-74.
- Guermouche MH, Gharbi A. Simplified solid phase extraction procedure and liquid chromatographic determination of celecoxib in rat serum. Chromatographia, 2004, 60 (5-6), 341-345.
- Rose MJ, Woolf EJ, Matuszewski BK. Determination of celecoxib in human plasma by normal phase high performance liquid chromatography with column switching and ultraviolet absorbance detection. J. Chromatogr. B., 2000, 738, 377-385.
- Brautigam L, Vetter G, Tegeder I, Heinkele G, Geisslinger G. Determination of celecoxib in human plasma and rat microdialysis samples by liquid chromatography tendem mass spectrometry. J. Chromatogr. B., 2001, 761(2), 203-212.
- ICH, Q2 (R1) Validation of Analytical Procedure: Text and Methodology, International Conference on harmonization, 2005.
- Ali J, Arora S, Ahuja A, Babbar AK, Sharma RK, Khar RK. Formulation and Development of Floating Capsules of Celecoxib: In Vitro and In Vivo Evaluation. AAPS PharmSciTech., 2007, 8 (4), 312-319.
- Nandy BC, Gupta AK, Mazumder B. Development and validation of analytical methods of celecoxib in rabbit Blood plasma by RP-HPLC technique, Journal of Biomedical and Pharmaceutical Research, 2013, 2 (5): 01-06.
- Paulson SK, Hribar JD, Liu NW, Hajdu EJ, Bible RH, Piergies A, Karim A. Metabolism and excretion of celecoxib in healthy male volunteers. Drug Metab. Dispos., 2000, 28, 308–314.
- Paulson SK, Vaughn MB, Jessen SM, Lawal Y, Gresk CJ, Yan B, Maziasz TJ, Cook CS, Karim A. Pharmacokinetics of celecoxib after oral administration in dogs and humans; effect of food and site of absorption. J Pharmacol. Exp. Ther., 2001, 297(2), 638–645.
- Nagarsenker MS, Joshi MS. Celecoxib-cyclodextrin systems: characterization and evaluation of in vitro and in vivo advantage. Drug Dev. Ind. Pharm., 2005, 31(2), 169–178.
- Javed A, Shweta A, Alka A, Anil K, Rakesh K, Roop K. Formulation and development of floating capsules of celecoxib: in vitro and in vivo evaluation. AAPS Pharm. Sci. Tech., 2007, 8(4), E119:1-6.
- Emami J, Fallah R, Ajami A. A rapid and sensitive HPLC method for the analysis of celecoxib in human plasma: application to pharmacokinetic studies. DARU, 2008, 16 (4), 211-217.
- Baboota S, Faiyaz S, Ahuja A, Ali J, Shafiq S, Ahmad S. Development and Validation of A Stability-Indicating HPLC Method For Analysis Of Celecoxib (Cxb) In Bulk Drug And Microemulsion Formulations. Acta Chromatographica, 2007, 18, 116-129.
- Chandhanee I, Sumana C, Supeecha W, Wandee K, Nongnuch T, Pajaree L, Sithiporn P, Clinical Pharmacokinetic of Celecoxib in Healthy Thai Volunteers, J Med Assoc. Thai, 2005, 88(5), 632-8.