Sangita Dey Sarkar, Quality of Life (QOL) of Elderly People: An Ethical Analysis, ASIO Journal of Humanities, Management & Social Sciences Invention (ASIO-JHMSSI), 2015, 1(1): 04-07.
ARTICLE TYPE: REVIEW
dids/doi No.: 12.2015-81145222
Dids Link : http://dids.info/didslink/12.2015-23116715/
The main focus of this article is to the improvement of Quality of Life (QOL) of senior citizen. This article basically stressed upon the concept of combining the Crèche and the Old age home. In the first section of this paper, It is intended to focus upon the philosophical concept of Quality of Life (QOL) and tried to show the relation of it with Human Dignity. In the second section, It has shown how QOL degrades with ageing. In the final section, It has been stated that how we can upgrade QOL of senior citizen by combining crèche and old age home. Here, the main intention is to instigate readers to think positively about a new institution comprising of both crèche and old-age home.
Keywords: Quality of Life (QOL), Human dignity, elderly people, Degradation, Crèche, Old age home.
- Lu L. Personal or Environmental Causes of Happiness: A Longitudinal Analysis, Journal of Social Psychology, 1999, 139 (1): 79-91.
- Mendola WF, Pelligrini RV. Quality of Life and coronary artery bypass surgery patients, Social Science and Medicine, 1979, 13A: 457-92.
- Michalos AC, & Zumbo BD. Public Services and the Quality of Life, Social Indicators Research,1999, 48:125-156.
- Michalos AC, & Zumbo BD. Criminal Victimization and the Quality of Life, Social Indicators Research, 2000, 50: 245-295.
- Michalos AC, Hubley A, Zumbo BD, Hemingway D. Health and Other Aspects of the Quality of Life of Older People. Draft paper. University of North British Columbia, Canada, 2000, 1-4.
- Noll RB, Gartstein MA, Vannatta V, Correll J, Bukowski WM, Davis WH. Social, emotional and behavioural functioning of children with cancer, Pediatrics, 1999, 103,1: 71-79.
- O’Boyle CA, McGee H, Hickey A, O’Malley K, Joyce CRB. Individual quality of life in patients undergoing hip replacement, Lancet, 1992, 339: 1088-91
- Chetterjee Chopra, Suhita Patnaik, Priyadarshi Chariar, Vijayaraghavan M. Discourses on Aging and Dying,. Sage Publications India Pvt.Ltd., 2008.
- Lakshmi Devi S & Roopa KS. Quality of life of elderly men and women in institutional and non-institutional settings in urban Bangalore District., Research Journal of Family, Community and Consumer Science, 2013, 1(3); 7-13.
- Rachels James, Kantian theory: The Idea of Human Dignity; The elements of moral Philosophy; Random house Inc; 1986; pp. 114-17,122-23.