Etwop Thomas Odora, GENDER AND GOVERNANCE: WOMEN PARTICIPATION IN POLITICS IN NIGERIA, ASIO Journal of Humanities, Management & Social Sciences Invention (ASIO-JHMSSI), 2018, 4(2): 12-21.
ARTICLE TYPE: Research Article
DOI Link :: http://doi-ds.org/doilink/10.2016-14781119/;
DOI Link ::
Nigeria is one of the countries in Africa with low participation of women in both elective and appointive positions and this is a big concern to many Nigerians and other International Actors. However, efforts have been made by the government and non -governmental organizations to increase the level of participation of women in politics. The under-representation of women in political participation gained root due to the patriarchal practice inherent in our society, much of which was obvious from the pre-colonial era to date. However, the Government and International Organizations’ have put much effort to address this issue. This paper will look at Gender and Governance and will have an in-depth discussion of women participation in politics in Nigeria, challenges, and policies being put in place to address the issue of low participation of women in politics and Governance.
Keywords: Gender and Governance, Women Participation, Gender Equality and Politics.
- Brody A.,  Gender and Governance Overview Report Issue 21 
- Eweama, P,  Gender Statistics in Nigeria Issues and Challenges. UN Global Forum on Gender Statistics, Accra Ghana. 
- Fonjack, J.A., & Endeley, J. B.,  Women in Anglophone Cameroon: Household gender relations and the participation in local governance 
- Naila Kaber  Gender and Health an Introduction Vol 23 Issue 1
- Horn J.,  Gender and Social Movements. Overview Reports) 
- March, C., Smyth, I., and Mukhopadhy, M.,  A Guide to Gender-Analysis Frameworks. Oxfam. 
- Milazzo, A. & Goldstein M.,  Governance and Women’s Economic and Political Participation: Power Inequalities, Formal Constraints and Norms. Background paper for the 2017 World Development Report on Governance and the Law. 
- Oluyemi, O., (N.A) Monitoring Participation of Women in Politics in Nigeria. https://unstats.un.org/unsd/gender/Finland_Oct2016/Documents/Nigeria_paper.pdf Accessed on the 28th/11/2017 
- World Bank  Engendering Development through Gender Equality in Rights, Resources, and Voice. A co publication of the World Bank and Oxford University Press
- UNDP Gender Development Index (GDI) http://hdr.undp.org/en/content/gender-development-index-gdi
- World Economic Forum’s Global Gender Gap Report, 2017, https://www.weforum.org/reports/the-global-gender-gap-report-2017
- 2015 Statistical Report on Women and Men in Nigeria. National Bureau of Statistics, November 2016 edition.
- Agenda 2030 of the Sustainable Development Goals
- Agenda 2063 of the African Union
- National Bureau of Statistics (NBS, Abuja, Nigeria) Publication 2016.
- Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) 2011: Country Gender Profile Nigeria Final Report Public Policy Department Mitsubishi UFJ Research & Consulting Co., Ltd. Accessed on the 5th/05/2018
- Mo Ibrahim Index of African Governance (IIAG) 2017 http://s.mo.ibrahim.foundation/u/2017/11/21165610/2017-IIAG-Report.pdf?_ga=2.7743666.1244721928.1516423597-1430646014.1513849462 Accessed on the 21st/08/2018