JOURNALS || ASIO Journal of Medical & Health Sciences Research (ASIO-JMHSR)
Research on plant derived pesticides for their control against vectors that transmit major diseases of public health have become a global mantra. Although the application of synthetic therapies is remarkable, but unfortunately synthetic pesticides pose serious eco-friendly challenge, while drug administration can only abate morbidity burden and reinfection frequency. The biocidal activities of fresh express seed sap extracts of Gmelina arborea was investigated against vectors of malaria (Anopheles Gambiae) and schistosomiasis (Bullinus globosus and Biomphalaria pfeifferi). Results show that the An. gambiae bioassay has LC50 value of 2.25 ppm. Furthermore, the G. arborea extract against B. globosus had LC50 value of 0.75 ppm compared to the B. pfeifferi which was less susceptible with LC50 value of 8.00ppm. Notwithstanding, all assayed extracts were effective against the vectors. As such, based on the finding of this study, G. arborea is therefore recommend as a candidate amongst several bioactive agents for the control of vector-borne diseases.
Keywords: Pesticides, Mosquito, eco-friendly, Larvicides, Molluscicides.
- S.E. Bassey, E.I. Ohimain, T.C.N. Angaye, T. C. N. The molluscicidal Activities of methanolic and Aqueous Extracts of Jatropha curcas leaves against Bulinus globosus and Bulinusrholfsi, Vectors of Urinary Schistosomiasis. Journal of Parasitology, 2013, 2(2): 15 - 122.
- T.C.N. Angaye, E.I. Ohimain, E.P. Siasia, P.I. Asaigbe, O.A. Finomo. Larvicidal activities of the leaves of Niger Delta mangrove plants against Anopheles gambiae. Sky Journal of Microbiology Research, 2014, 2(7): 032 - 036.
- WHO/UNICEF. World Malaria Report. Roll Back Malaria partnership, WHO/UNICEF, 2005. Available: http://rbm.who.int/wmr2005/.
- T.E. Clerk, C.C Appleton, S.E, Drewers. A semi-quantitative approach to the selection of appropriate candidates plant molluscicides - A South African application. Journal of Ethnopharmacology, 1997, 56: 1-13.
- M.A. Hamed. Strategic control of schistosome intermediate Host. Asian Journal of Epidemiology, 2010, 3(3): 123 - 140.
- A.A. Hassan, A.E. Mahmoud, R.A. Hassan, E.A.M. Huseein. Evaluation of Euphorbia Aphylla, Ziziphus Spina-Christi and Enterolobium Contortisiliquum as Molluscicidal Agents. Journal of American Science, 2011, 7(8): 511 - 520.
- A.P. Castro, A.C.A. de Mattos, R.L.M. Souza, M.J. Marques, M.H.D. Santos. Medicinal plants and their bioactive constituents: A review of bioactivity against Schistosoma mansoni. Journal of Medicinal Plants Research, 2013, 7(21): 1515 - 1522.
- J. Utzinger, J. Keiser, X. Shuhua, M. Tanner, B.H. Singer. (2003). Combination Chemotherapy of Schistosomiasis in Laboratory Studies and Clinical Trials. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, 2003, 47(5): 1487–1495.
- S.E. Bassey. A Concise Dictionary of Parasitology. Zetu Concept, Port-Harcourt, Nigeria, 2011, 5: 89 - 96.
- M.M. El-Sayed, H.A. El-Nahas, E.A. El-Wakil. Molluscicidal Properties and Chemical Constituents of Euphorbia peploides. Australian Journal of Basic and Applied Sciences, 2014, 8(3): 541 - 548.
- Ghosh A., Chowdhury N., Chandra G. (2012). Review on plant extracts as potential mosquito larvicides. Indian J Med Res. 135: 581 - 598.
- C.E. Offor, P.M. Aja, P.C. Ugwu, K.N. Okechukwu, K.N. Agbafor. The Effects of Ethanol Leaf-Extract of Gmelina arborea on Total Protein and Albumin Concentrations in Albino Rats. Global Journal of Environmental Research, 2015, 9(1): 01 - 04.
- Nayak, B. Shankar, P. Ellaiah, Dinda, C. Subas. Antibacterial, antioxidant and antidiabetic activities of Gmelina arborea roxb fruit extracts. International Journal of Green Pharmacy, 2012, 6(3): 224.
- A.S. Sugio, S. Kashima, M. Mochizuki, K. Kobayashi, (2009). Crystal structure of human Crystal structure of human serum albumin. Protein Engineering, 12(6): 439-446.
- A.N. Saidu, H.O. Akanya, B.N. Dauda, E.O. Ogbadoyi. Effect of ethanol extract of K. Kobayashi, 2009. Effect of ethanol extract of Gmelina arborea leaves on haematological and biochemical parameters of albino rats. International Research Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, 2012, 2(1): 12.
- D.N. Haefliger, J.E. Moskaitis, D.R. Schoenberg, W. Wahli. Amphibian albumins as members of the albumin, alpha-fetoprotein, vitamin D-binding protein multigene family. Journal of Molecular Evolution, 2012, 29(4): 344-357.
- S. Mitra, S.K. Mukherjee. Some plants used as antidote to snake bite in West Bengal, India. Diversity and Conservation of Plants and Traditional Knowledge. 2012, 515 - 537.
- A. Egunyomi, I.T. Gbadamosi, K.O. Osiname. Comparative effectiveness of ethnobotanical mosquito repellents used in Ibadan, Nigeria. Journal of Applied Biosciences. 2010, 36: 2383 – 2388.
- H.M. Malebo, C. Imeda, N.A. Kitufe, S.J. Katani, R. Sunguruma, F. Magogo. Repellence effectiveness of essential oils from some Tanzanian Ocimum and Hyptis plant species against afro-tropical vectors of malaria and lymphatic filariasis. Journal of Medicinal Plants Research, 2013, 7(11): 653 – 660.
- T.C.N. Angaye, E.I. Ohimain, S.C Izah, P.I. Asaigbe. Molluscicidal and Synergicidal Activities of the Leaves of Four Niger Delta Mangrove Plants Against Schistosomiasis Vectors. J. Environ. Treat. Tech., 2015, 3(1): 35 - 40.
- T.C.N. Angaye, E.I. Ohimain, D.V. Zige, B. Didi, N. Biobelemoye. Biocidal activities of Solvent extracts of Azadirachta indica against Some Endemic Tropical Vectorborne Diseases. International Journal of Tropical Disease & Health, 2014, 4(11): 1198 - 1208.
- I.O. Agboola, G.O. Ajayi, S.A. Adesegun, S.A. Adesanya. Comparative Molluscicidal activity of fruit pericarp, leaves, seed and stem Bark of BlighiaUnijugata Baker. Pharmacol., J. 2011, 3:63 - 66.
- E.I. Ohimain, T.C.N. Angaye, S.E. Bassey. Comparative larvicidal activities of the leaves, bark, stem and root of Jatropha curcas (Euphorbiaceae) against malaria vector Anopheles gambiae. Sky Journal of Biochemistry Research, 2014, 3(3): 029 - 032.
- C. Azoro. Antibacterial activity of crude extract of Azadirachita indica on Salmonella typhi. World Journal of Biotechnology, 2000, 3:347-351.
- F. Tiwari. Bait formulation toxicity of plant derived molluscicides in attractant food pellets against vector snail, Lymnaea acuminate. World Journal of Zoology, 2012, 7(1): 55-59.
- U. Dibua, M. Odo, G. Ejikeme, Ngwu, G. Ikechukwu (2013). Larvicidal activity of Picralima nitida, an environmental approach in malaria vector control. American Journal of Research Communication,1(12):451 - 469.
- WHO. Report of the WHO Information Consultation on the evaluation on the testing of insecticides CTD/WHO PES/IC96. 1996, pp 1:96.
- T.C.N. Angaye, G.N. Oyinke, W.T. Angaye, V.D. Igbeinkutu. The Comparative Phytochemical and Bio-larvicidal Efficacy of Leaf Extracts of Gmelina arborea against Mosquito Larvae. International Journal of Innovative Healthcare Research, 2017, 5(1):1 - 6.
- A.M. El-Mahmood, J.H. Doughari, H.S. Kiman. In vitro antimicrobial activity of crude leaf and stem bark extracts of Gmelina arborea (Roxb) against some pathogenic species of Enterobacteriaceae, African Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology.2010, 4(6): 355 - 361.
- R. Kaswale, V. Patel, M. Chakraboty, J.V. Kamat. Phytochemical and Phamarcological Profile of Gmelina arborea; An Overview. International Journal of Pharmacy, 2012, 3(2): 61 – 64.
- A.A. Ishaku, D. Ishakeku, S. Agwale. Phytochemical screening and antibacterial activity of Gmelina arborea fruit extracts. International Journal of Microbiology and Immunology Research, 2012, 1(2): 26-31.